I love salmon and I don’t make it enough around here! Honestly, I get sick of it though if I have it plain and simple. That’s why I made these healthy salmon cakes. I could literally eat these all week long and still not get sick of them. Crab cakes are actually one of my favorite things to order when I go to a seafood restaurant so I was definitely inspired to switch them up by making these Salmon Cakes at home. These are great to prep for an easy weeknight dinner or for the week! This makes a couple “cakes” so depending on how many you’re fixing for, you may have leftovers to eat on the next few days.
Healthy Salmon Cakes
What you need to make Healthy Salmon Cakes:
- Fresh Salmon
- Panko bread crumbs
- Green onion
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon, juiced
- Paprika, garlic powder, oregano, sea salt, pepper
What you need to make Garlic Aioli:
- Mayo (I use the Mayo made with Avocado Oil —this one!)
- Minced garlic
- Avocado oil
- lemon, juiced
- Sea salt, pepper
How to make Healthy Salmon Cakes:
- Start by preparing the fresh salmon. Coat with a little avocado oil, sea salt and pepper and bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- In bowl, add shredded cooked salmon, panko, green onion, egg and seasonings. Mix together.
- Roll into “cakes” and roll into more panko breadcrumbs.
- In cast iron skillet, add cakes to cook on each side. They will brown on each side to cook.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
A few items I used in this recipe:
- 1 lb fresh salmon
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs + additional 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- for the garlic aioli:
- 1/3 mayo made with avocado oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake 1 lb fresh salmon on baking sheet. Top the salmon with a little avocado oil spray and dash of sea salt & pepper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until salmon is cooked through. Set aside.
- In large bowl, flake off cooked salmon and add remaining ingredients: panko breadcrumbs, dijon, egg, green onion and seasonings. Mix together.
- Make additional bowl with other 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Form salmon patties. Roll patty into the additional breadcrumbs. You should get 6-7 patties.
- In pan, add a little avocado oil to saute. Add 2-3 salmon patties to cook together. Cook on both sides until completely cooked. Tops will begin to brown.
- To make garlic aioli, combine all ingredients.
- Serve on a bed of greens with a little garlic aioli. Enjoy!
until next time...