I love salmon and I don’t make it enough around here! Honestly, I get sick of it though if I have it plain and simple. That’s why I made these healthy salmon cakes. I could literally eat these all week long and still not get sick of them. Crab cakes are actually one of my favorite things to order when I go to a seafood restaurant so I was definitely inspired to switch them up by making these Healthy Salmon Cakes at home. These are great to prep for an easy weeknight dinner or for the week! This makes a couple “cakes” so depending on how many you’re fixing for, you may have leftovers to eat on the next few days.
Healthy Salmon Cakes
I’m always looking for ways to switch up how I enjoy salmon as it is one of my favorite seafood dishes to enjoy. I find myself always getting salmon, tuna or crab cakes when I’m at a restaurant so I thought it was time to finally make one for the site too! I love how simple these salmon cakes are while still being a delicious, satisfying dinner. You can pair these with a side salad, sweet potato fries or even roasted veggies! There are so many ways to find ways to enjoy these salmon cakes for dinner. Plus, they can easily be reheated the next day for leftovers. My favorite kind of meals!
If you want a way to switch up how you prepare salmon, try these! I bet everyone will love them too.
What you need to make Healthy Salmon Cakes:
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon
- Panko bread crumbs
- Green onion
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon, juiced
- Paprika, garlic powder, oregano, sea salt, pepper
What you need to make Garlic Aioli:
- Mayo (I use the Mayo made with Avocado Oil —this one!)
- Minced garlic
- Avocado oil
- lemon, juiced
- Sea salt, pepper
Can I use a different sauce to pair with these cakes?
Yes! You can use any sauce that you’d like to pair with these salmon cakes. I’d recommend a chipotle mayo, sriracha mayo sauce or the Elote Dip from Trader Joe’s (a favorite here!)
Does the salmon need to be cooked first?
Yes! You want to make sure you bake the salmon first before preparing the cakes. I’ll place the salmon on a baking sheet and spray with avocado oil spray and a little sea salt and pepper. Place it in the oven to bake and then flake off and add it into a bowl with the other ingredients for the cakes.
How to make Healthy Salmon Cakes:
- Start by preparing the fresh salmon. Coat with a little avocado oil, sea salt and pepper and bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- In bowl, add shredded cooked salmon, panko, green onion, egg and seasonings. Mix together.
- Roll into “cakes” and roll into more panko breadcrumbs to completely cover.
- In cast iron skillet, add avocado oil to pan to heat up. Add salmon cakes to cook on each side. They will brown on each side to cook.
A few items I used in this recipe:
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- Shrimp Tostadas with Pineapple Salsa
- Baked Salmon Patties
- Air Fried Coconut Shrimp
- Maple Mustard Salmon
- Honey Orange Salmon
Looking for more easy weeknight dinner recipes? Try these!
- 1 lb fresh salmon
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs + additional 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Avocado oil spray, Avocado oil
- for the garlic aioli:
- 1/3 mayo made with avocado oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake 1 lb fresh salmon on baking sheet. Top the salmon with a little avocado oil spray and dash of sea salt & pepper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until salmon is cooked through. Set aside.
- In large bowl, flake off cooked salmon and add remaining ingredients: panko breadcrumbs, dijon, egg, green onion and seasonings. Mix together.
- Make additional bowl with other 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Form salmon patties. Roll patty into the additional breadcrumbs. You should get 6-7 patties.
- In cast iron skillet, add a little avocado oil to heat up. Add 2-3 salmon patties to cook together. Cook on both sides until completely cooked. Tops will begin to brown.
- To make garlic aioli, combine all ingredients.
- Serve on a bed of greens with a little garlic aioli. Enjoy!
until next time...