Combining two of my favorite things into one to make this super satisfying and delicious meal. If you have been here for a while, you know that I love sweet potato toast. It’s so versatile and a great way to switch up from the regular “toast” (which I also love!). I personally love Japanese sweet potatoes but this would be so good on any regular sweet potato. Combine it with tuna salad to make the tastiest combination.
Here’s what you need to make these Sweet Potato Tuna Melts:
- Sweet Potato (I used Japanese sweet potato here!)
- 1 can of tuna
- Mayo made with avocado oil (I used this one!)
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you’d like!)
If you haven’t already caught my blog post on Sweet Potato Toast, be sure to see all the different ways you can top them!
Here’s how to make sweet potato toast:
- Start by cutting the ends off the sweet potato and then cut the sweet potato in half.
- Cut 1/4 pieces on each side creating little “toasts”
- Place on baking sheet and spray with a little olive oil. Top with a little sea salt and pepper before placing in the oven.
- Bake them at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes on each side.
- 1 Japanese sweet potato (or regular sweet potato)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or desired amount/type of cheese)
- 1 can tuna
- 2 tbsp mayo made with avocado oil
- 1 tsp dijon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- dash of pepper
- Olive oil spray (I get mine at Trader Joe's!)
- Optional toppings: red pepper flakes, fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potato, cut the ends off, and cut it in half. Then, cut 1/4 slices on each side to create "toast" pieces. Do this until your left with the ends of the sweet potato.
- Place on baking sheet and spray with a little avocado oil and a dash of sea salt & pepper.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes on each side. It will depend on how large your pieces are!
- Prepare tuna salad by combining ingredients: can of tuna, dijon mustard, mayo, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, top with tuna on each "toast," add shredded mozzarella cheese and then place back in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melty.
- Top with red pepper flakes and cilantro. Enjoy!
until next time...