It’s almost time for the big game and if you’re like me, you LOVE anything with sweet potatoes. So I had to remake one of my favorite things, potato skins, using sweet potatoes to make this ultimate game day snack. I’m obsessed with these and will probably make these for easy dinner options for the week! I saved them and reheated for 1-2 days after and they were still delish. You can save the cheese to top on it if you’re not eating them all at once.
This recipe is also super easy to adjust if you need to make more for your group! Just increase the veggies and beans for the filling mixture and you’ll be good. You could also use a different filling based off what you like.
I hope you love them as much as I do!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 can of black beans
- Mexican Cheese (use desired amount)
- Optional: creamy plain yogurt for topping
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in the oven and set timer for 45 minutes. (I like to poke a few holes in the sweet potato first)
- Once they have finished baking, place on baking sheet and cut sweet potato in half. Scrape out the inside of each sweet potato and place in a large bowl. Leave a little sweet potato around the edges of each sweet potato so it still remains firm.
- In pan, add a little olive oil and add bell pepper, onion and spices. Begin to saute on medium heat.
- Add in half container of black beans. Continue to stir until mixture is sautéed.
- Pour pan mixture into the bowl with the sweet potato that you already scraped out. Mix everything together. You may want to adjust spices here to taste. Add a little more sea salt & garlic powder!
- Scoop out some of the mixture and place inside of the sweet potato skins. Continue to do for each sweet potato until you’ve completely filled each one.
- Place back in the oven for 8 minutes.
Once done, top off with desired amount of Mexican cheese and place back in the oven for the cheese to get melty (2 or so minutes!)
- Top off with red pepper flakes, cilantro, avocado & plain yogurt for creaminess!
until next time...