What’s a week over here without a chicken salad recipe, right?! This easy Southwestern Chicken Salad is a new favorite because it’s easy to throw together, makes a bunch for meal prep, and it super easy to switch up and customize so you don’t get sick of it. I love all the Southwestern flavors so I decided to throw them together to make this Southwestern Chicken Salad. The southwestern flavors are one of my favorites, so if they are yours too then you’ll love this!
With busy schedules, having meals like this prepped and ready has been a life saver for me. On days that I don’t have a simple meal to grab for, it’s easy to get caught up snacking all day, which can be unhealthy and never leaves you feeling satisfied. Spending a little time at the beginning of the week or at the weekend preparing simple things like this delicious salad (or one of the other make-ahead salads I’ve linked to below) will be a game changer during the busy weeks!
There’s lots of veg, juicy chicken, & a creamy yogurt dressing this simple Southwestern Chicken Salad really packs a punch with both taco seasoning (homemade or pre-mixed) and your favorite brand of salsa to bring all those amazing Southwestern flavors together!
If you haven’t checked out my roundup of “salads” to prep for the week, be sure to check out all of the different options I have on One Balanced Life. These are great to choose from based off what you’re feeling!
What you need to make Southwestern Chicken Salad:
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Black Beans
- Chunky Salsa
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Avocado Oil Mayo
- Hot Sauce
- Taco Seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
How to make this chicken salad:
- Start by shredding your chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes and cilantro.
- With a small bowl, mix together ingredients for sauce.
- Pour to mix with chicken and other ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Put in a wrap, on a sandwich or serve with chips/crackers. Enjoy!
How to store your leftover chicken salad:
This is great to meal prep for the week! Just be sure you’re using sealed containers to keep it stored in the fridge in order to keep it fresh. I like using these! If you’re packing it up to go with you, these containers are great.
If you want to switch it up, try doing this instead:
- In a pita!
- Put it in a whole grain wrap
- On top of greens
- With crackers or chips
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- Easy Chipotle Tuna Salad
- Harvest Cobb Salad
- Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Salad
- Orzo Salad with Mozzarella and Tomatoes
- Cantaloupe Cucumber Salad
- Healthy White Chicken Chili
How long does this last for?
This salad can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days stored in a sealed container.
Can I make my own taco seasoning?
While I love to by a store bought one made with simpler ingredients, you can also easily make your own taco seasoning at home!
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup corn, drained
- 1/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup tomato
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 3 tbsp avocado oil mayo
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp chunky salsa
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Shred rotisserie chicken.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, mix together ingredients for the sauce: mayo, greek yogurt, lime juice, salsa, taco seasoning, hot sauce, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Pour over the chicken and other ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
Any thick plain or Greek-style yogurt would work here, and you can sub in mayo for a dairy free option!
until next time...