Thanks to my mom for this White Chicken Chili recipe that I now make all the time! It’s super easy, makes a ton to have for the week or freeze for later and its so delicious! Perfect for those cold nights when you want to cozy up to something warm. I love making this and having some for the rest of the week and then freezing some to have on hand whenever the craving hits!
White Chicken Chili
This time of year when the temps start to drop, I’m always craving the cozy soup recipes like this one. I’ve grown up eating this White Chicken Chili and it’s still a favorite to make around here. Not only does it only require a couple ingredients, but it’s so simple to make! My mom would make this for us all the time and it was a go-to for any football game or gathering to make this one and the Healthy and Easy Chili recipe on the site. The best of both worlds when the two chili recipes are served.
What you need to make White Chicken Chili:
- Great Northern Beans: canned great Northern beans are the way to go here! Just pour the can directly into your large pot!
- 1 rotisserie chicken (shredded) or shredded crockpot chicken (2 chicken breasts) will work: I love using rotisserie chicken here because it makes this recipe even easier. If you want to use shredded chicken breast from the crockpot, that will work too!
- Garlic cloves: minced garlic is a must when sautéing the onion.
- Olive oil: all you need is a little olive oil! Avocado oil works well here too.
- Ground cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and sea salt: the spices that mix into this soup giving it such a delicious taste.
- Chicken broth: A fridge staple!
- Yellow onion: heated up with the garlic and oil before pouring in the remaining ingredients
- Canned green chiles: once again these make this recipe so easy and give it so much taste! You can get the spicy if you prefer too.
Recipe tip: This recipe will make a lot for the week so it’s great to prep and have for a couple meals or save and store in freezer bags to reheat later! I love having this to easily pull out of the freezer when I’m craving it.
How to store for the week:
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! I love freezing soup this time of year. This White Chicken Chili freezes easily and is great to reheat later on when the craving hits. I recommend freezing in freezer bags up to a couple of months. When you go to reheat, just place on the stove in a pan to allow to melt or let it sit in the fridge for 12hrs before heating up.
Different ways to top your White Chicken Chili:
- Top with avocado slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- With crushed crackers or tortilla scoops
If you like this recipe, try these on One Balanced Life:
Want more meals that you can prep? Try these!
- 48 oz canned great northern beans
- 1 rotisserie chicken (shredded) or shredded crockpot chicken (2 chicken breasts) will work
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 (4oz) cans green chiles
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Saute onion, garlic & olive oil in pan.
- Combine beans, broth, sautéed garlic & onion in large pot & boil for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (shredded chicken, green chiles and seasonings) and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Make a bowl & top it off with plain greek yogurt and use crackers for dipping!
until next time...