This Warm Brussels and Quinoa Salad will be your new favorite fall salad. I love the fall season for all the warm, cozy flavors that come with it. Not only is this salad so easy to throw together, but it makes for a delicious salad that will go with all your meals! You can make this and pair it with any protein like grilled chicken or salmon or enjoy it as a side course to your spread of food.
Warm Quinoa and Brussels Salad
It’s that time of year for all the warm salads. Plus, Brussels sprouts are in season so you know that I’ll be adding them to all the recipes! I love picking up a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts at Trader Joe’s to use in recipes or easily sauté to add into salads or as a side. This Warm Quinoa and Brussels Salad is made with a couple of ingredients and tossed in a homemade dressing that is light and flavorful for this salad. If you have a fall gathering that you need to take a side dish to, this one would be perfect to throw together!
What you need for Warm Brussels and Quinoa Salad:
Quinoa: I like to use white quinoa here! You’ll want to make sure you cook the quinoa prior to mixing it into the salad
Shredded Brussels Sprouts: I buy a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts at Trader Joes! These are great to add into recipes and perfect for this salad. If you only have a bag of Brussels sprouts, no worries! Just add them to a blender or food processor for this salad.
Grated Parmesan Cheese: this cheesy addition is perfect in this salad!
Shaved Almonds: one thing that I love to do in salads is add a little crunch and different texture. I love the addition of shaved brussels in this salad.
Gluten Free (or regular) breadcrumbs: another crunchy, but delicious addition for this salad. You can also use regular breadcrumbs here, but I had gluten free ones around!
What you need for dressing this salad:
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper
How to store this salad:
It’s best to store this salad in sealed containers to maintain the freshness of the salad. I’d enjoy this salad soon after making it or the next day for leftovers. I like using these containers.
Do I cook the quinoa first?
Yes! You want to cook the quinoa first before placing it into this salad. Quinoa is super easy to cook and you can follow the instructions on the back of the package in order to prepare a good batch of quinoa.
Ways to make this salad into a meal:
- Pair it with a protein of choice! A few favorites are grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp.
- Add roasted chickpeas or tofu on top to keep it vegetarian.
- Fix it alongside any soup or fall dish that you have made.
What I used to make this recipe:
Do I cook the shredded brussels?
Yes! You want to gently sauté the shredded Brussels sprouts for this recipe. You still want them to be slightly tender for this recipe though. I like to cook them in a non-stick heated pan.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Kale Brussels Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Holiday Brussels Sprouts
Looking for more fall recipes? Try these!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 bag 10 oz shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup shaved almonds
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted GF breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash of pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package. Drain and set aside.
- In pan, add avocado oil to heat. Pour bag of shredded brussels into a pan to saute. Saute while still leaving them slightly tender before removing from the heat.
- Toast breadcrumbs on heated pan just to lightly brown. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, combine sauteed brussels, cooked quinoa, shaved almonds, grated parmesan cheese and toasted bread crumbs.
- Prepare dressing by combining dijon, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, juiced lemon, honey and spices. Mix together.
- Pour dressing on top of salad ingredients and mix to combine. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Top with more grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
until next time...