This Warm Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Salad will be your new favorite fall salad. I love the fall season for all the warm, cozy flavors that come with it. Not only is this salad so easy to throw together, but it makes for a delicious salad that will go with all your meals! This salad is also easy to prep ahead, and you can make this and pair it with any protein like grilled chicken, salmon or tofu, or enjoy it as a side course as part of a larger spread.
It’s that time of year for all the warm salads. Plus, Brussels sprouts are in season so you know that I’ll be adding them to all the recipes! I love picking up a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts at Trader Joe’s to use in recipes or easily sauté to add into salads or as a side.
This Warm Quinoa and Brussels Salad is made with a couple of ingredients and tossed in a homemade dressing that is light and flavorful. If you have a fall gathering that you need to take a side dish to, this one would be perfect to throw together!
Ways to make this quinoa salad into a meal:
- Pair it with a protein of choice! A few favorites are grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp.
- Add roasted chickpeas or tofu on top to keep it vegetarian.
- Fix it alongside any soup or fall dish that you have made.
Can I prep any of the ingredients in advance?
Quinoa: I like to use white quinoa here! You’ll want to make sure you cook the quinoa prior to mixing it into the salad – you can do this in advance if you do weekly meal prep! Quinoa is super easy to cook and you can follow the instructions on the back of the package in order to prepare a good batch of quinoa.
Grated Parmesan Cheese: this cheesy addition is perfect in this salad! If you prefer not to buy pre-grated cheese this is something you can also prep in advance!
Shaved Almonds: one thing that I love to do in salads is add a little crunch and different texture. I love the addition of shaved almonds in this salad, but other nuts like chopped pecans or hazelnuts would also be delicious!
Gluten Free (or regular) breadcrumbs: another crunchy, but delicious addition for this salad. You can also use regular breadcrumbs here, but I had gluten free ones around! If you want to prep your own from leftover bread blitz it in a blender or food processor before tossing them in a little avocado oil (avocado oil spray is great for this) and broiling for just a minute or two. These will keep in an air tight container. I like these containers for easy storage!
Honey mustard dressing: to prep the dressing ahead you can whisk together the Dijon Mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon, honey, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in advance and store it in the fridge!
Shredded Brussels Sprouts: I buy a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts at Trader Joes! These are great to add into recipes and perfect for this salad. If you only have a bag of Brussels sprouts, no worries! Just add them to a blender or food processor, or use a mandolin for this salad.
Do I need to cook the shredded Brussels sprouts?
Yes! You want to gently sauté the shredded Brussels sprouts for this recipe. But you don’t want to cook them until they are totally soft, though. I like to cook them in a non-stick heated pan.
How to store this quinoa salad:
It’s best to store this salad in sealed containers to maintain the freshness of the salad. I’d enjoy this salad soon after making it or the next day for leftovers. I like using these containers.
What I used to make this recipe:
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Bacon
- Kale Brussels Sprout Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Holiday Brussels Sprouts
- Pecan Pie Energy Bites
- Chicken Apple Sausage Sheetpan Dinner
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 bag 10 oz shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup shaved almonds
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash of pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package. Drain and set aside.
- In pan, add avocado oil to heat. Pour bag of shredded brussels into a pan to saute. Saute while still leaving them slightly underdone before removing from the heat.
- Toast breadcrumbs on heated pan just to lightly brown. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, combine sauteed brussels, cooked quinoa, shaved almonds, grated parmesan cheese and toasted bread crumbs.
- Prepare dressing by combining dijon, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, juiced lemon, honey and spices. Mix together.
- Pour dressing on top of salad ingredients and mix to combine. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Top with more grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
until next time...