I can’t believe that August is here! It seems like summer just started, anyone else!? At least we still have a while to enjoy some of the summer fruits and veggies which is exactly what I did when making this flatbread. I’ve been picking up zucchini and squash every week at the store because they are in prime season! I have some friends that are even growing these in their gardens right now, so if you’re doing that, even better to make something like this! This Summer Flatbread is simple, tasty and fresh for this time of year. I think you’re going to love it!
I love a good flatbread, especially in the summer! It’s a meal that I think you can get everyone excited about and there are so many ways to switch them up to make it your own. This Summer Flatbread is great because it uses up all the summer squash and zucchini that you may be looking to use up right now. I love incorporating veggies that are in season right now and this is a great way to do it!
This meal comes together in less than 20 minutes and is great to serve as an appetizer or easy weeknight meal.
Here’s what you need for the flatbread:
- Mini tomatoes
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese (I used the smaller mozzarella balls)
- Pesto (I used the vegan kale cashew pesto from Trader Joe’s)
- Minced garlic
- Hot Honey
- Olive oil
How to make this Summertime Flatbread:
- This is so easy! Start by spreading minced garlic with oil on the naan. Place in the oven on the middle rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with pesto. You can use any of your favorite store bought pesto or make your own!
- Top with thin sliced zucchini and squash. Add chopped tomato and fresh mozzarella to completely top the pizza.
- Place back in the oven on the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven and place on baking sheet to finish cooking for remaining time.
- After cooking, top with fresh arugula. In a small bowl, heat up hot honey and olive oil. Mix together. Drizzle over the flatbread.
How to store your flatbread:
If you have any leftovers (which you probably won’t ;)) then it’s best to store your flatbread in a sealed container in the fridge. It’s actually delicious leftover as a cold option too. I like these containers!
Healthy Flatbread Recipes:
You can make variations of healthy flatbread recipes by changing the ingredients. You can try a zucchini flatbread, a cheesy zucchini and tomato flatbread, a lavash bread bbq chicken pizza, or a zucchini and tomato flatbread. Experiment to find out which is your favorite.
If you love this flatbread, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- Veggie Naan with Spinach Basil Hemp Seed Sauce
- BBQ Chicken Pineapple Naan Pizza
- Pest Flatbread Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Naan Flatbread
Is Flatbread Healthy?
Flatbreads are more healthy than most other kinds of bread because it is higher in fiber combined with lower calories and a small amount of fat. What you add to it as a wrap, or top it with as a pizza, or what you dip it into will, of course, change the calories you consume so selecting health topping is also very important.
Can I use any pesto here?
Yes! You can use any of your favorite store bought pesto here. I love the kale cashew pesto from Trader Joe’s. If you want to make your own, you can find a recipe here.
Do I have to use naan?
You can use a different crust or flatbread here! I love how the naan crust crisps in the oven, but you can use another flatbread or pizza crust. Be sure to keep an eye on the crust as it could brown quicker.
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 2 naan
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella balls
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 tsp hot honey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread minced garlic with oil on the naan. Place in the middle rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add pesto, thin sliced zucchini and squash, tomato and mozzarella.
- Place back in the oven on the middle rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove and place on baking sheet for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Top with fresh arugula.
- Mix hot honey and olive oil together in a small bowl. Heat up in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Drizzle on top of the flatbread.
until next time...