Okay this sweet potato black bean and spinach quesadilla may be a new favorite over here. It’s seriously the best combo, I mean does it get any better than sweet potato black beans and spinach in a melty quesadilla? YUM. This makes for an easy vegetarian meal to throw together for a weeknight lunch or dinner! I think these are going to be a new repeat meal around here. If you’re looking for a new vegetarian meal, count on this one!
Sweet Potato Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla
You know when lunch time comes around and you don’t know what to make but want something simple? That’s where this Sweet Potato Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla comes in. I love this quesadilla because it’s not only so simple to make but it can easily be prepped with some of the ingredients before the week begins so you can easily assemble this when the time comes. This sweet potato black bean spinach quesadilla makes for a satisfying lunch with a balance of protein, fat and carbs too. Try adding avocado or hot sauce to switch it up too!
What you need:
- Tortilla: I used a whole wheat tortilla here but any of your favorite tortillas will work here!
- Sweet Potato: bake a sweet potato or two and have some ready to easily mash into the quesadilla!
- Black Beans: a can of black beans can go a long way! try to keep these around for a quick meal like this quesadilla
- Spinach: I always have a bag of spinach in the fridge or freezer to throw into meals or smoothies during the week.
- Mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you’d like to use!): any cheese would work here but I love using shredded mozzarella cheese.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- All you need are 5 ingredients…does it get any better?!
- This is a balanced meal of protein, fat and carbs that will keep you feeling satisfied all day.
- A lot of these ingredients you may already have at home!
- You can prep some of this recipe so that it’s super easy to throw together when the time comes!
How to make:
- Start by cooking your sweet potato. I cook at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato!
- Let the sweet potato cool down and mash it in a bowl. Using one tortilla, add mashed sweet potato, black beans, cheese and spinach.
- Place on pan on medium heat. Add top tortilla (so you’ll be using 2 tortillas here!)
- Cook on both sides until tortilla browns and cheese melts.
- Top with red pepper flakes & enjoy!
Can I make the sweet potato ahead of time?
Yes! I actually recommend preparing the cooked sweet potatoes and storing the fridge so this meal can come together in a couple minutes. Once you already have the cooked sweet potato, all you have to do is mash it in the tortilla to heat up on the stove. So easy!
Can I use a different cheese?
Yes! Use any cheese that you prefer here. I used a shredded mozzarella cheese but I’m sure there are many combos that would be great with this.
What I used to make this quesadilla:
If you enjoy this quesadilla recipe, you may also like these recipes on One Balanced Life:
Looking for more easy lunch recipes? Try these:
Save and Pin for later!
- 2 tortillas (I used organic whole wheat here)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (add desired amount of cheese)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Start by cooking sweet potato. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato.
- Using one tortilla, mash the sweet potato, then add black beans, cheese and spinach.
- Place on a pan on medium heat. Add top tortilla and cook on both sides until crispy and cheese has melted.
until next time...