Okay this sweet potato black bean and spinach quesadilla may be a new favorite over here. It’s seriously the best combo, I mean does it get any better than sweet potato black beans and spinach in a melty quesadilla? YUM. This makes for an easy vegetarian meal to throw together for a weeknight lunch or dinner! I think these are going to be a new repeat meal around here. If you’re looking for a new vegetarian meal, count on this one!
Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla
What you need:
- Tortilla (I used a whole wheat tortilla!)
- Sweet Potato
- Black Beans
- Mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you’d like to use!)
How to make this Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadilla:
- Start by cooking your sweet potato. I cook at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato!
- Let the sweet potato cool down and mash it in a bowl. Using one tortilla, add mashed sweet potato, black beans, cheese and spinach.
- Place on pan on medium heat. Add top tortilla (so you’ll be using 2 tortillas here!)
- Cook on both sides until tortilla browns and cheese melts.
- Top with red pepper flakes & enjoy!
Can I make the sweet potato ahead of time?
Yes! I actually recommend preparing the cooked sweet potatoes and storing the fridge so this meal can come together in a couple minutes. Once you already have the cooked sweet potato, all you have to do is mash it in the tortilla to heat up on the stove. So easy!
Can I use a different cheese?
Yes! Use any cheese that you prefer here. I used a shredded mozzarella cheese but I’m sure there are many combos that would be great with this.
If you enjoy this quesadilla recipe, you may also like these recipes on One Balanced Life:
Save and Pin for later!
- 2 tortillas (I used organic whole wheat here)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (add desired amount of cheese)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Start by cooking sweet potato. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the sweet potato.
- Using one tortilla, mash the sweet potato, then add black beans, cheese and spinach.
- Place on a pan on medium heat. Add top tortilla and cook on both sides until crispy and cheese has melted.
until next time...