This southwestern rice is FULL of flavor and so easy to make! All you need is 10 minutes and a handful of pantry ingredients to throw this zesty and versatile dish together.
I love this Southwestern Rice because it not only makes for a great dish on its own, but you can serve it with recipes like shrimp burrito bowls, salsa verde chicken, or stuffed zucchini boats for a flavorful twist. I’m all about using dishes in various ways throughout the week to keep it interesting. This recipe is definitely one of those!
Rice is the perfect dish to meal prep to make eating healthy meals all week long easier. This recipe is great to make ahead of time and use a few different ways all week long. You can do something as simple as stuff it in a pepper or use it as part of a burrito filling. The options are truly endless!
What you need to make to this Southwestern Rice:
- Minute Rice Jasmine Cilantro Lime Rice & Minute Rice Southwest Pinto Beans Rice – Using minute rice is an amazing way to cut down on the time it takes to cook this recipe. I love the flavor combination of these two!
- Canned corn – Feel free to use frozen corn or even fresh corn that’s been boiled or roasted.
- Canned black beans – drained and rinsed.
- Vegetable broth – Can also use chicken broth or bone broth.
- Canned fire-roasted tomatoes – Regular canned tomatoes are okay, but fire roasted add a little extra that can’t be beaten.
- Seasonings – garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes
How to make this recipe
- Start by adding 1 container of Minute Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice and 1 container of Southwest Pinto Beans and Rice to a medium pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and stir occasionally until the rice is heated.
- Stir in the black beans, corn, and tomatoes.
- Add the garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, pinch of salt to the rice mixture. Stir until combined.
- Serve in a bowl with fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes on top.
How to use southwestern rice
- In stuffed peppers!
- In a taco bowl
- In a zucchini boat
- Stuffed in a sweet potato
- Alongside some grilled chicken
How to store and reheat this recipe
Since this rice comes together so quickly, there isn’t much to meal prep before making it, but it does make the perfect meal prep recipe! To store leftovers, add them to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat, warm in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warmed through. You could also add back to a skillet along with a tablespoon of broth or water and sautee over medium heat until warmed through.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll also want to try:
SAVE AND PIN FOR LATER!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1 cup Minute® Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Minute® Southwest Pinto Beans and Rice
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Red pepper flakes
1. Start by adding 1 container of Minute Cilantro & Lime Jasmine Rice and 1 container of Southwest Pinto Beans and Rice to a medium pot on the stove over medium heat.
*You can also heat the rice in the microwave for 90 seconds, then add to the pan.
2. Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and stir occasionally until the rice is heated.
3. Stir in the black beans, corn, and tomatoes.
4. Add the garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, pinch of salt to the rice mixture. Stir until combined.
5. Serve in a bowl with fresh cilantro and red pepper flakes on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175
until next time...