I’m sooo excited about these!! If you’ve been to Austin or checked out my Austin Restaurant Guide, you’d know that Torchy’s Tacos is on there and it’s one of my favorite places here in Austin. There are so many tacos there that I love and the queso is so delicious! One of my favorite vegetarian options that they have is the Fried Avocado Taco. So what better way to have it all the time then recreating these tacos at home!?
I love getting my inspiration for recipes from local restaurants. You can get a lot of inspiration just by visiting a new spot in town and checking out the menu. If you’ve ever been to Austin, you know that food inspiration is all around in this city!
PS. If you haven’t checked out my blog post on the OBL Restaurant Guide to Austin, be sure to check it out for some ideas on my favorite places in town. And let me know if you check any of them out! These are just a few that I like to frequent and always recommend when I have guests in town.
You guys know how much I love my air fryer. I use this one. And I seriously keep it out on my counter all the time because I use it all the time! Using the air fryer in this recipe is key to getting the avocado perfectly crispy.
These are super easy and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. And it would be great alongside a margarita 😉
Tips to making perfectly crispy avocado in the air fryer:
- Make sure each avocado fry are spread evenly apart
- Don’t forget to check on them half way through!
- Make sure pieces of avocado aren’t too thin
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 can pinto beans
- 1/4 cup Southwestern salad mix (I love to use the pre-made salad mixes for this at the store!)
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- cilantro for garnish
- Optional: shredded cotija cheese
- Cut avocado into thick slices. Prepare a bowl with whisked egg and almond flour mixture in another one.
- In almond flour mixture bowl, add all spices: garlic powder, salt & pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, and chili powder & mix well.
- Dip avocado into egg and then roll mixture into almond flour mix. Set aside. Do for all of avocado.
- Place avocado slices in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Make tacos by using one tortilla, then mash pinto beans on bottom layer, add in avocado slices, southwestern salad mix and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with jalapeño sauce (I love the one from Trader Joes!) or sauce of choice.
until next time...