If you want something to have for quick and easy lunches or dinner during the week, these Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos are the perfect thing to add to your menu. They are not only made with a couple ingredients but they can be made ahead of time and easily kept in the freezer to pull out when you want them. That way, you can prep a few for the week and store them for easy grab and go.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
You know those dinners that you know you literally won’t have a minute to cook? Maybe you have a late evening happy hour or picking up the kids at practices and your evening won’t be able to include whipping up dinner. That’s where these Make Ahead Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos come in handy.
Why you’ll love these burritos:
- They are so easy to make! Using ingredients that you may already have on hand and a couple pantry ingredients.
- These are great to keep stored in the freezer for when you’re pinched on time for a meal!
- The combo of sweet potatoes and black beans makes for a super satisfying, balanced meal with protein, fat and carbs.
What you need for Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos:
- Tortilla–Burrito size!
- Sweet potato
- Black Beans
- Red or yellow onion
- Corn, canned
- Sea salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder
Can I use any tortilla?
I like to use flour tortillas in this recipe but you can use any of your favorites! I just recommend using the larger burrito size so you’re able to roll it up!
Best way to meal prep these burritos:
- Start by making 3-4 when you make these! This recipe will get you enough to prep if you’re only making for one.
- Once you have everything prepared, assemble the burritos according to the instructions and set aside.
- Allow the burritos to cool off before wrapping in plastic wrap to store in the freezer.
- I like to store them in these reusable freezer bags before placing in the freezer.
- Make sure to take out of the freezer and place int he fridge at least 12 hrs before you want to enjoy one!
How to reheat your burritos:
You’ll want to make sure your burritos have thawed in the fridge before heating in the microwave. That’s why it’s best to plan out when you are going to enjoy these so you have enough time to pull them out of the freezer! After they have thawed out for 12+ hrs in the fridge, heat up in the microwave for 50-60 seconds before enjoying.
What I used to make this recipe:
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
- Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Skillet Meal
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Copycat Starbucks Spinach & Feta Wrap
Looking for easy weeknight dinners? Check out this blog post on easy dinner recipes!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
Make ahead burritos!
- 3 burrito tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn, drained
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (or more depending on preference)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Heat up sweet potato (I like to use smaller ones for smaller chunks of sweet potato) in the microwave for 1.5 minutes before cutting. Allow to cool down before chopping.
- Heat up 1 tbsp avocado oil. When heated, add sweet potato to saute. Once you've sauteed the sweet potato for a couple minutes (they will start to brown) add black beans, onion and corn.
- Add in spices: sea salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste!
- Lay out burrito tortilla and add sweet potato black bean mixture.
- Top with shredded mexican cheese and roll into a burrito.
- Place back on the stove to heat up on both sides.
- If you're going to prep these, be sure to let them cool down before storing in plastic wrap and in the freezer bag.
until next time...
Leave a Reply