It’s time for a new easy meal that comes together in one pan, or in this case one skillet. This ground turkey sweet potato skillet meal is not only so easy to make but makes for the tastiest addition to your weeknight dinners.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
You know when dinner comes around and you still don’t know what to make? Insert this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet meal for the easiest dinner ever! I’m a big fan of one-skillet meals, like my one-pan turkey and rice skillet and Mexican breakfast skillet. With fewer pans to watch and dishes to wash, you really can’t go wrong!
All you need is one skillet and a couple of ingredients to make this super easy meal that everyone will love. I keep these ingredients around or in the freezer to use as a “safety net” in case I don’t know what I’m going to make.
This skillet includes protein, carbs and fat for a balanced meal. Not only will it leave you satisfied, but it will fuel you for the rest of the evening! The leftovers of this ground turkey sweet potato skillet are SO good – you can switch it up the next day and maybe add a little rice or toss it on greens for a new variation!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s made in ONE skillet! Does it get any better than that?
- It’s so simple – only a few steps start to finish.
- It’s full of protein, carbs and fat making it a well-balanced meal to have on busy weeknights.
- It uses basic ingredients you may already have on hand.
- It’s great when you don’t know what you want to make!
- Makes for even better leftovers the next day.
What you need for this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet:
- Sweet Potato – You could substitute regular potatoes like russet or even red potatoes if that’s what you prefer or have on hand.
- Ground Turkey – While I love ground turkey in this recipe, feel free to use ground chicken or even lean ground beef.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Green onion
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – Substitute with shredded Monterrey jack or cheddar if you like a bit more flavor.
- Vegetable broth – You could also use bone broth, chicken stock, or beef stock.
- Avocado oil – Or any other light tasting oil.
- Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes
How to make Sweet Potato Skillet:
- Start by adding the minced garlic and onion to the skillet with a little avocado oil.
- Put the whole sweet potato in the microwave for 2 minutes before cutting it into small pieces. Make sure to do this as the sweet potato won’t cook thoroughly if you don’t!
- Add ground turkey to the skillet. Break apart and cook with the onion and garlic on medium to high heat until browned.
- Add vegetable broth and sweet potato to the skillet and cook while mixing with the onion and ground turkey. You may want to place a lid on top of the skillet to help with cooking. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in seasonings and mix.
- Add in shredded mozzarella cheese once the sweet potato is fork-tender. Mix to combine and turn the heat to medium-low until the cheese is melted.
- Top with red pepper flakes and green onion. Enjoy!
Make sure you put the sweet potato in the microwave before cutting it for the skillet! If you don’t do this, the sweet potato won’t fully cook through. Two minutes in the microwave will make sweet potato just soft enough that it cooks quickly in the skillet.
Can I make this ground turkey sweet potato skillet dairy-free?
Yes! This recipe is simple to make dairy-free. Just leave out the cheese or use dairy-free cheese!
Meal prep and storage tips
To make this dinner even easier, you can prep a few things in advance. Microwave and dice the sweet potato and chop the onion, ahead of time. This way when it’s time to make this ground turkey and sweet potato skillet, you’ll have minimal chopping and prep work to do.
To store leftovers, let everything cool then place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, heat a drizzle of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sautee for 3-5 minutes or until everything is heated through.
Serving and flavor variations
- Top with rice or quinoa.
- Put this skillet dish on a bed of mixed greens.
- Use different types of cheese like monetary jack, cheddar, or even pepper jack for a little more spice.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, greek yogurt, or avocado.
What I used to make this:
- Lodge Cast Iron Skillet A cast iron skillet is the perfect pan to make this dish in. A well-seasoned cast-iron pan is essentially non-stick without toxic chemicals. Your sweet potato, onions and turkey will be perfectly crisped in this cast iron pan.
Yes! You can make ground turkey (and this dish) in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
Cooking ground turkey in a pan over medium heat takes approximately 15 minutes. It may take more or less time, just be sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
Yes! Sweet potato skins are tender and add great texture to sweet potatoes when roasted or pan-fried. They also add extra fiber, so leaving them on is great for extra texture, flavor and nutrition!
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Butternut & Wild Rice One Pan Meal
- One Pot Broccoli & Cheese Pasta
- Sweet Potato, Brussels sprouts and Chicken Sausage Sheetpan
Save and Pin for later!
- 1 package ground turkey
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup green onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- red pepper flakes
- Start by adding a little avocado oil to skillet. Add minced garlic and onion to saute.
- Place sweet potato in the microwave for 2 minutes (you want to do this so it will cook evenly with the dish)
- Add ground turkey to the skillet with garlic and onion. Cook to brown.
- Chop up sweet potato into small pieces.
- Add sweet potato to skillet with veggie broth. (If you have a top to place on the skillet, do this to help cook the sweet potato)
- Add seasonings: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and sea salt. Adjust to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in shredded mozzarella once sweet potato is fork tender. Mix to combine.
- Top with green onion and red pepper flakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230
until next time...