It’s time for a new easy meal that comes together in one pan, or in this case one skillet. This ground turkey sweet potato skillet meal is not only so easy to make but makes for the tastiest addition to your weeknight dinners. I love this one because it’s not only filled with flavor but so satisfying too. One thing that you bet I can always have around here are sweet potatoes (if you haven’t already guessed that ;))
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
You know when dinner comes around and you still don’t know what to make? Insert this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet meal for the easiest dinner ever! All you need is one skillet and a couple ingredients to make this super easy meal that I’m sure everyone will love. I love to keep these ingredients around or in the freezer to use as a “safety net” in case I don’t know what I’m going to make.
It’s important to find meals that include protein, carbs and fat for a balanced meal. This skillet includes all of that! Not only will it keep you satisfied as your dinner but it will fuel you for the rest of the evening! If you’re looking for more meals that you can make and easily reheat throughout the week, this is a great one for that! The leftovers of this ground turkey sweet potato skillet are SO good! Switch it up the next day and maybe add a little rice or toss it on greens? I hope you love it as much as I do!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s made in ONE skillet! Does it get any better than that!
- It’s so simple to make and is so good!
- It’s full of protein, carbs and fat making it a well balanced meal to have during the week
- All you need are a couple of ingredients!
- It’s great when you don’t know what you want to make!
- Makes for even better leftovers 🙂
What you need for this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet:
- Sweet Potato
- Ground Turkey
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Green onion
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable broth
- Avocado oil
- Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes
Can I make this dairy free?
Yes! You can leave out the cheese here if you’d like to make it dairy free.
What if I don’t want to use ground turkey?
If you’d like to switch this out with ground chicken or ground beef you can! I love using a lean ground turkey here for a great source of protein.
How to make Sweet Potato Skillet:
- Start by adding minced garlic and onion to skillet with a little avocado oil.
- Put sweet potato in the microwave for 2 minutes before cutting into small pieces. Make sure to do this as the sweet potato won’t cook throughly if you don’t!
- Add ground turkey to the skillet on medium to high heat.
- Add vegetable broth and sweet potato to the skillet and cook while mixing together with onion and ground turkey. You may want to place a lid on top of the skillet to help with cooking. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in seasonings and mix.
- Add in shredded mozzarella cheese once sweet potato is fork tender. Mix to combine. Turn heat to medium low.
- Top with red pepper flakes and green onion. Enjoy!
Make sure you put the sweet potato in the microwave before cutting it for the skillet! Without doing this, the sweet potato won’t fully cook through. Two minutes is just enough time to place in the microwave before cutting up into small pieces for the skillet.
If you want to switch this up, try:
- Adding in rice or quinoa to top it on!
- Putting this on a bed of greens
- Using a different cheese or leaving out if you want!
What I used to make this:
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Butternut & Wild Rice One Pan Meal
- One Pot Broccoli & Cheese Pasta
- Sweet Potato, Brussels sprouts and Chicken Sausage Sheetpan
Save and Pin for later!
- 1 package ground turkey
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup green onion
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- red pepper flakes
- Start by adding a little avocado oil to skillet. Add minced garlic and onion to saute.
- Place sweet potato in the microwave for 2 minutes (you want to do this so it will cook evenly with the dish)
- Add ground turkey to the skillet with garlic and onion. Cook to brown.
- Chop up sweet potato into small pieces.
- Add sweet potato to skillet with veggie broth. (If you have a top to place on the skillet, do this to help cook the sweet potato)
- Add seasonings: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and sea salt. Adjust to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in shredded mozzarella once sweet potato is fork tender. Mix to combine.
- Top with green onion and red pepper flakes.
until next time...