If you want an easy weeknight dinner for the week, try these Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats! Not only are they so simple to make, but so delicious! Using a lot of ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. I love this meatless dish because it is still packed with ingredients that will keep you feeling satisfied after. You can also add meat to it if you decide.
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
I don’t know about you but I’m always looking for taco in every form. It doesn’t get much better than those flavors in my opinion. That’s why I wanted to make this plant based meal a taco flavored one! These Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats make for an easy weeknight meatless meal that’s packed with protein and veggies. I guarantee the whole family will love these!
Zucchini is a super versatile veggie, who would have thought you could stuff a quinoa mixture in it and it would turn out so good?! Plus, they don’t take long to cook up either! If you want to try switching up how you prepare your zucchini boats, try this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boat.
Why you’ll love Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats:
- They make for delicious leftovers! I love a good meal that you can reheat the next day.
- They use a lot of pantry ingredients!! If you have canned corn, black beans and tomatoes sitting in the pantry now is your chance to use them up!
- They are filled with protein keeping you satisfied longer
- It’s a great way to incorporate a meatless meal into your week while still being something that everyone will love!
What you need:
- Red onion
- Black Beans
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Taco Seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
Can I use any kind of quinoa?
Yes! I used a white quinoa but you can also use a tri-color, depending on what you have.
Can I leave off the shredded cheese?
Yes! If you want to make this dairy free, you can leave off the cheese. I do love the shredded melty cheese on top though 🙂
How do I store these leftovers?
I like to store the leftovers in glass containers in the fridge! I love using these. If you want to reheat, I recommend just placing in the microwave to quickly reheat!
Tips for picking out the perfect zucchini for zucchini boats:
- Did you think you’d have to look for right zucchini for this?! 😉 I do recommend picking out a good batch of zucchini to make these boats. Some of the smaller ones tend to be harder to cut in half and scoop out the insides.
- The rounder & thicker the better! These will make it easier to cut in half and scoop out inside.
How to make Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini ends off and then cut the zucchini in half. You want to make sure you get zucchini that aren’t too small since you will be filling them!
- Spray a little avocado oil on the zucchini and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Prepare quinoa taco mixture. Cook quinoa according to package.
- In pan, add minced garlic and olive oil to saute. Add red onion.
- Add cooked quinoa with black beans, roasted tomatoes, corn and taco seasoning. Mix together.
- Adjust seasonings to taste: sea salt, garlic powder and taco seasoning
- Place desired amount of quinoa mix into zucchini boats. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add shredded Mexican cheese. Place in the oven for 2 minutes until cheese gets melty.
- Top with red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Want more meatless meals? Try these:
- Cheesy Chickpea & Farro
- Easy Tortilla Pizzas
- Buddha Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- Butternut & Black Bean Enchiladas
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Sweet Potato, Brussels and Chicken Sausage One Pan Meal
- One Pot Taco Pasta
Save and Pin for later!
- 3-4 zucchini
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 1/2 corn, drained
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning (+more to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut ends off zucchini and then cut in half. Place on baking sheet. Spray with a little avocado oil and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes
- Cook quinoa according to package.
- In pan, add olive oil, minced garlic and onion to saute.
- Once quinoa has finished cooking, add to pan with black beans, corn and fire roasted tomatoes. Add taco seasoning, sea salt and garlic powder.
- Stuff quinoa mixture into each zucchini boat.
- Place back in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded mexican cheese on top and bake for 2 minutes or until cheese is melty.
- Top with cilantro and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
until next time...