Well we all know that I love cauliflower here, but truthfully I only like it when I cook it one of the variety of different ways that I have shared here. The possibilities are endless with cauliflower which is another reason why I love it for dishes. This Sweet and Sour Baked Cauliflower will be your new favorite. It’s the perfect combination of Sweet and Savory with a sauce that is SO good! I can’t wait to hear what you think about this dish.
Sweet and Sour Baked Cauliflower
If you’ve been to One Balanced Life before, you know that I love cauliflower over here. Really, just like making it taste good. We can all agree cauliflower by itself isn’t good right!? If you want something delicious to snack on or to add as a side dish for dinner, you will love this one! I bet you can convince someone that doesn’t love cauliflower to like this dish!
While I’ve only tried this in the oven, I’m sure you can toss the cauliflower in the air fryer too! We all know that I love the air fryer. I recommend following the directions exactly to make sure this recipe comes out perfectly!
What you need to this Baked Cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower (small to medium size!)
- Almond Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic cloves
- Coconut Aminos
- Rice vinegar
- Arrowroot powder
- Red pepper flakes
Can I use a different flour?
I have only used Almond Flour when making this recipe! I recommend sticking with the almond flour to get the best results. If you decide to try another flour, let me know in the comments what you used!
Can I use soy sauce instead of coconut aminos?
Yes! You can always substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos. I do recommend having coconut aminos in your pantry as it is a staple in recipes over here! You can grab it here.
What is arrowroot powder?
Arrowroot powder is used as a thickener for sauces! Don’t leave this part out 😉 Arrowroot can easily be substituted for Tapioca Starch too.
How to make Sweet and Sour Baked Cauliflower:
- Start by preheating oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut up head of cauliflower into pieces. Not too small!
- Prepare two bowls: whisked eggs in one and almond flour with seasonings in another
- Take piece of cauliflower and dip to completely cover the cauliflower and then roll in the almond flour mixture. Repeat for all pieces of cauliflower. Set on baking sheet
- Bake for 22-24 minutes. Flipping around half way through.
- As cauliflower begin to finish baking, prepare sauce mixture.
Recipe tips for Sweet and Sour Baked Cauliflower:
- If you end up using a larger size cauliflower, keep in mind the sauce may not be enough for it!
- You may need to add another egg once you start dipping the cauliflower into the egg and flour mixture. No problem, just crack another one to mix in!
- After you’ve baked the cauliflower for 22-24 minutes and it looks to be browned, you may not need to add the additional broil. Just keep an eye on it!
- The sauce goes on AFTER the cauliflower has baked!
- I haven’t used any other flour besides almond flour for this.
Have an air fryer you want to use? Try this sweet and sour cauliflower in there!
Air Fryer Instructions: Follow all the same steps in coating the cauliflower and then place in the air fryer at 400 for 15 minutes. Shake them up half way through. Then coat with the sauce after heating it up on the stove!
If you enjoy this recipe on One Balanced Life, you may also enjoy these recipes:
- Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- Sweet and Sour Brussels sprouts
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower
- Harissa Tahini Cauliflower (A Truefood Kitchen remake!)
Looking for more appetizers? Try these!
- 1 head small/medium cauliflower
- 1 c. almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 eggs, whisked
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 c raw honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- dash of sea salt
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp arrowroot powder + 2 & 1/2 tbsp water (mixed together)
- Garnish: cilantro & more red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut up the head of cauliflower (Better if you have bigger pieces of cauliflower)
- Prepare dipping mixtures by mixing three eggs in one bowl & almond flour, garlic/onion powder/sea salt & pepper in another bowl.
- Dip cauliflower in egg mixture and then dip in flour mixture to completely coat. Place on pan. Do that for all of the cauliflower pieces
- Place in oven to bake for 20-24 minutes or until slightly browned. Broil for 2-3 minutes (keep an eye to make sure they don’t get too brown-if they are already browned, you may want to leave this part off)
- When the cauliflower are getting close to finish cooking, prepare sauce mixture.
- On medium to low heat, add honey, sriracha, coconut aminos, garlic cloves, & sea salt/red pepper flakes. Stir together. In a small bowl, mix together the arrowroot powder with water (make sure to do this in a separate bowl)
- Add the arrowroot powder mixture to the sauce and stir continuously. It will stick to bottom of the pan if you don’t continue to stir. Stir for a couple minutes until sauce thickens. (around 3-4 minutes)
- Place baked cauliflower in a big bowl and pour sweet & sour sauce over top the cauliflower and mix together. Depending on the size of your cauliflower you may have more sauce then needed, you can pour to coat as you prefer and save some for extra dipping or just pour it all on!
- Garnish with cilantro and red pepper flakes & enjoy!!
until next time...