Covers life in peanut sauce, am I right!? Okay this Shrimp Pad Thai is my most recent obsession. For a couple reasons including:
- because peanut sauce (DUH)
- it’s super easy
- i’ve been on a kick with loving shrimp in recipes!
- it’s great even the next day so hello leftovers!
So many reasons why this will now be on rotation here for dinner. I’ve been loving using green cabbage in recipes because it lasts for a while in the fridge! It’s something great to pick up next time you’re at the store because there are so many ways to use it! Plus, it’s cheap.
A lot of pad Thai recipes are made using noodles, but I wanted to make this more of a veggie heavy dish and decided to go with the cabbage! You could definitely add in some noodles here if you want and can also use this to top on rice if you want.
Also, while this isn’t Whole30 because of the peanut sauce, you can simply change the creamy peanut butter in the recipe for a creamy almond butter and it will make this compliant! WOO! This is dairy free and gluten free too.
If shrimp isn’t your thing, take it out! You can add in tofu or even use a different seafood like scallops or salmon on top.
If you like this recipe so much, you may also like:
How to make Shrimp Pad Thai:
Begin by preparing shrimp in a pan to saute. You want to cook these separately from the rest of the veggies in the dish. In separate pan, add sesame oil (adds great taste to these dishes!) and green cabbage, red cabbage, onion, carrot and red pepper to saute on medium heat. Add in remaining seasonings and stir. Once shrimp have finished cooking (they will turn pink!), add in with the veggie mix and stir together. Keep heat on medium to low. Prepare peanut mixture and pour on top of the veggies and shrimp. Mix together and serve!
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 lb shrimp (I used the frozen Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joes)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- For the peanut sauce:
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp water (+ more for desired consistency)
- Red pepper flakes
- Optional: cilantro for garnish, peanuts on top
- In pan, add shrimp to saute.
- In seperate pan, add sesame oil and green cabbage, red cabbage, red onion, carrot and red pepper to saute on medium heat.
- Add in sea salt & garlic powder and continue to stir.
- Once shrimp have throughly cooked through, add in with veggie mix.
- In bowl, prepare peanut sauce by adding all ingredients and mixing.
- Take pan off heat and pour peanut mix on top (use desired amount of sauce) while continuing to stir to mix thoroughly.
- Top it off with red pepper flakes and cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1228mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 20g
until next time...