I love finding new ways to switch up my breakfast and this Savory Breakfast Bowl is so delicious! Not only does it make for a great way to start the day, but it’s so nourishing and will leave you feeling good too. This breakfast bowl is great to add into your meal prep routine and comes together in less than 15 minutes for an easy meal.
I’m always looking for ways to switch up breakfast or brunch and this Savory Breakfast Bowl quickly became a favorite. Not only is it packed with protein from the quinoa, black beans and eggs but it’s so simple to make! Even better, you can incorporate this into your meal prep for the week and have these bowls for a quick and easy breakfast in the morning. Just assemble everything into a sealed container and use hardboiled eggs instead of poaching!
What you need for Savory Breakfast Bowl:
- Black Beans
- Feta cheese
What you need for spicy cashew sauce:
- Raw Cashews
- Coconut aminos
- Lime zest
- Garlic cloves
- Rice Vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
How to make Savory Breakfast Bowl:
- Cook quinoa according to package. I like to cook my quinoa in vegetable broth to give it more flavor.
- Make spicy cashew sauce by combining all the ingredients into the blender. Set aside.
- Saute kale on medium to low heat with a little avocado oil spray, sea salt and pepper.
- To poach an egg, In a small pot, fill water to boil. Add 1-2tsp of white vinegar to the water. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Turn down the gently boiled water to a simmer. Start to spin the simmering water and drop the egg into the barely simmering whirlpool. Wait 3-5minutes until cooked and the whites are set. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Prepare savory breakfast bowl by combining quinoa, sautéed kale, black beans, tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro and poached egg.
- Top with spicy cashew sauce.
How to store your breakfast bowl ingredients:
It’s best to store any leftover ingredients from your savory breakfast bowl in sealed containers in the fridge. I like using these!
If you want to switch up this savory breakfast bowl, try doing this:
- Use a different sauce to top on your bowl!
- Add different greens other than kale.
- Make scrambled eggs or hardboiled eggs instead of poaching!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Can I meal prep any of these ingredients?
Yes! This is a great recipe to incorporate into your meal prep. I would recommend meal prepping the quinoa and spicy cashew sauce. If you decide you want to do hardboiled eggs, you can prep those ahead of time too!
Can I use something else other than quinoa?
Yes! You can use another grain here if you’d like. I would recommend switching it with brown rice, farro or
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded kale
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomatoes
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 tbsp feta cheese
- 1tbsp cilantro
- for the spicy cashew sauce:
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lime, zest
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- dash of ginger
- dash of pepper
- 3 tbsp water (+ more for desired consistency)
- Start by preparing your quinoa according to package. I like to cook mine in vegetable broth.
- Prepare poached egg. To poach an egg, In a small pot, fill water to boil. Add 1-2tsp of white vinegar to the water. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Turn down the gently boiled water to a simmer. Start to spin the simmering water and drop the egg into the barely simmering whirlpool. Wait 3-5minutes until cooked and the whites are set. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Add all ingredients for spicy cashew sauce to a blender. Set aside.
- Saute kale in a pan for 2 minutes or so with avocado oil spray, sea salt and pepper.
- Assemble bowl with cooked quinoa, kale, clack beans, tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro, avocado and poached egg. Drizzle with cashew sauce.
I like to cook my quinoa in vegetable broth for more flavor.
The spicy cashew sauce will make enough to have for the week.
until next time...