I can’t think of a better combo than a crispy tortilla and breakfast foods. I’ve been trying to switch up breakfast lately and keep coming back to these! They are perfect for a weekend brunch or even a savory breakfast during the week. You can easily switch up the breakfast tostadas with different toppings and make your eggs however you prefer them! I did scrambled here.
I’ll be the first to admit, breakfast can get a little boring and repetitive over here! I tend to stick with the same things and then eventually get burnt out of them and have to switch to something else. That’s where these Breakfast Tostadas come in 🙂 They are the perfect thing to switch up your breakfast with during the week or for brunch on the weekend. I wouldn’t mind these with a little mimosa on the weekend.
These breakfast tostadas are a great breakfast option any time because they are filled with protein! I always aim to make sure I’m getting protein in all of my meals, especially breakfast. Eggs are a great source of protein and black beans are a great plant based protein. Protein is important to incorporate in your meals because it will help you feel satisfied longer.
Why you’ll love these tostadas:
- They are so simple to make! It may look harder than it actually is.
- Does it get any better than a crispy tortilla?! I don’t think so.
- These are filled with protein keeping you satisfied even longer.
- They can easily be switched up with whatever you have! Don’t have cojita cheese? No worries! Try cheddar cheese.
Here’s what you need to make Breakfast Tostadas:
- Corn tortilla
- Refried black beans or pinto beans (or regular black beans!)
- Cojita cheese
- Red pepper flakes
How to make Breakfast Tostadas:
- Start by getting the corn tortilla crispy by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. You want to spray a little avocado oil spray on each side of the tortilla before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes on each side. Be sure to flip them half way through!
- Scramble your eggs. In order to get a soft scramble, you want to make sure the pan is on medium heat. Let it heat up for a minute or two before pouring the egg mixture in. Slowly bring the egg mix into the middle of the pan and scramble to get a fluffy egg mixture!
- Layer crispy tortilla with refried black beans and scrambled eggs.
- Top with tomatoes, cojita cheese, cilantro, red pepper flakes and avocado.
The toppings are endless when it comes to how you want to top your breakfast tostada! Here are a few other ideas:
- Sautéed peppers
- Regular black beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Turkey Sausage or Breakfast Sausage
How to make a crispy tostada:
The best way to make sure your tostada gets crispy is by putting it in the oven! I spray them with a little avocado oil on both sides and then bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes on each side. You can also put them on a high heat skillet with a little oil to crisp up quickly. If you do this, just make sure the pan is heated before putting the tortilla in it.
Can I use any tortilla?
I’ve only made these with corn tortillas but I have tried various brands of corn tortillas. If you try out another tortilla, let me know in the comments!
What I used in this recipe:
Non-stick pan: this is crucial in making the perfect soft scrambled egg. I love this pan and have been using it for a while!
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these simple recipes:
If you love these tostadas, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- 1-2 tbsp cojita cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado
- Avocado oil spray or olive oil spray
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a little avocado oil spray on each side of tortilla and place on a lined baking sheet (I like to use the silicone baking sheets)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (flipping half way through)
- Scramble eggs by whisking 4 eggs and pouring in a heated (medium to high heat) pan. Slowly scramble in order to get fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Heat up refried black beans (I like to use the canned beans here)
- Layer in tostadas! Start with your crispy tortilla, black beans, scrambled eggs, tomatoes and cojita cheese. I also like to top it off with avocado, red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro
until next time...