I love a good broccoli salad at a cookout. Most pre-made salads like this are filled with funky ingredients and I wanted to change that with this one that I made. One of the best things, in my opinion, is being able to re-create some of your favorite items that you can get out. Not only are you able to control what’s going in it, but you’ll feel better eating it. This Chopped Broccoli Salad is the perfect example!
Are you like me and Broccoli Salad reminds you of warmer weather or cookouts? It definitely does for me! This is one of my favorites to make when the weather starts to warm up and it’s the perfect thing to take with you to a cookout. It pairs well with so many things or works as a great thing to have ready in the fridge for the week. I love the mix of broccoli and cauliflower in this to switch it up a bit. My biggest tip, make sure you get a bite of each thing in this salad. The mix of broccoli and cauliflower with all the crunchy mix-in’s like cranberries, bacon, slivered almonds and red onion–so YUM.
What you need for ChoppedBroccoli Salad:
- Red onion
- Unsweetened cranberries
- Slivered almonds
- Avocado oil mayo (I use this one!)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to make this salad:
- Start by chopping up the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets. I recommend not having any big pieces here! Chopped in small bites is best!
- Prepare bacon according to package.
- Chop up red onion and set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, slivered almonds, cranberries and bacon.
- In small bowl, combine mayo, lemon, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix to combine.
- Pour mixture on top of bowl with broccoli and cauliflower. Mix to completely coat the salad. Adjust seasonings if needed!
- Store in the fridge. Enjoy!
How to store your chopped broccoli salad:
It’s best to store your leftover broccoli salad in a sealed container in the fridge! It will last for up to 3-4 days when stored properly. I like using these for fridge storage!
If you want to pair this salad, try these options:
- Have it as a side at your cookout!
- Pair with any grilled chicken, burger or steak.
- Serve this alongside your lunch for a side to your wrap or sandwich
Why you’ll love this broccoli salad:
- It’s made with simple ingredients that you may already have!
- It’s creamy while still being better for you. There’s no comparison to the funky ingredients found in some of the store bought ones!
- Everyone at your cookout will love you for bringing this 🙂
- It makes for GREAT leftovers! As the dressing soaks up in the broccoli, it tastes even better. Promise!
- This Healthy Broccoli Salad is Whole30 if you use the approved Bacon and Condiments! Some that I recommend are Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo and Chosen Foods.
- I use this dressing mixer ALL the time! It’s great to use this before mixing it with the remaining ingredients.
If you like this salad, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Smoked Mozzarella Pasta Salad
- Kale Brussels Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Curried Cauliflower and Farro Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Southwestern Pasta Salad
- Healthy Potato Salad
How do you cut your broccoli for broccoli salad?
I like to cut the broccoli in smaller, fine pieces for broccoli salad. No one wants to eat big chunks of broccoli or cauliflower anyways 😉
Can I leave out the bacon in this recipe?
Yes! If you want to make this veggie friendly, you can leave out the bacon in this recipe. I highly suggest keeping the bacon though 😉
What if I don’t like cranberries?
If you don’t like dried cranberries, you can leave them out of this recipe. I love the sweetness they give to this salad (using the unsweetened cranberries) but you can definitely leave out or switch with raisins.
How long can I leave broccoli salad in the fridge?
This broccoli salad can be in fridge up to 4 days to maintain freshness! It tastes even better after sitting in the fridge for a day and soaking up the mayo or greek yogurt. I like to store my broccoli salad in these containers. They are great to take with you too!
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 8oz bacon, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 avocado oil mayo
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- Chop up broccoli, cauliflower and onion.
- Cook bacon according to package. Crumble into pieces and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bacon, slivered almonds and cranberries
- In seperate bowl, add mayo, juiced lemon, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and dijon mustard.
- Pour ontop of broccoli and cauliflower mix. Mix thoroughly.
- Store in the fridge. Enjoy!
until next time...