One thing that I can always get down with is a salad as big as my head. Anyone else?! I always hear that salads at home are boring but I completely disagree. There are so many ways to make salads at home GOOD and easy to make!
A lot of times, I recommend doing some of the “prep” ahead of time for making salads at home during the week. When it comes to cutting veggies, that’s the last thing I want to spend all the time doing for a salad! So at the beginning of the week, try cutting up some of the veggies that you plan to use for your salad and store them in your containers (I like these!) for easy salad making during the week. For this shrimp Cobb salad, I would suggest prepping the sautéed shrimp, hardboiled eggs, bacon and cutting up the veggies if you want to make these during the week!
I’ve shared a blog post on simple ways to spice up a salad but I will share some of my tips here:
1) Find greens that you like! If you don’t love spinach, then don’t try to make a salad at home with a bunch of spinach. I like to use romaine lettuce and mixed greens for salads at home.
2) Use a dressing or sauce that you like. A lot of times salad dressings can be filled with sugars and weird ingredients. I like using Primal Kitchen Foods or making my own to mix in. Finding a dressing that you like is key to these salads making you FEEL good as well.
3) Add a little crunch! Whatever you have—nuts, seeds, or anything crunchy to give it a little different texture can add a lot to your at-home salads.
4) Chop it up! Seriously the salad chopper is a GAME CHANGER for salads. Check it out here! Whether you use it to chop up just the greens or chop & mix up the salad, it seriously makes all the difference to your salad. Who wants to eat big pieces of lettuce anyways?!
What you need to make a Shrimp Cobb Salad:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Hardboiled Egg
- Feta Cheese
- Slivered Almonds
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce
- 1 hardboiled egg
- 6 shrimp
- (or more if you want to prep for the week!)
- 2 pieces bacon, in pieces
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (or any nut)
- Chopped mini tomatoes
- Dressing of choice (I like the Primal Kitchen Foods Ranch!)
- Salt, pepper, chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare shrimp by adding olive oil to a pan with shrimp. Add a little salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Prepare bacon according to package. I like to bake mine at 350 degrees for 17 minutes or so!
- Hard boil eggs by placing egg in boiling water and setting timer for 12 minutes.
- Chop up romaine lettuce and tomato. I like to use the salad chopper!
- Assemble salad with romaine on the bottom, bacon crumbled, feta cheese, shrimp, hardboiled egg, tomato and slivered almonds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 732Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 297mgSodium: 1892mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 18gSugar: 14gProtein: 36g
until next time...