If you’ve ever picked up the Arugula salad with kit with lemon basil dressing from Trader Joes, this salad may look familiar to you! This Lemon Arugula Shrimp Salad is a light, refreshing salad to make as the temps warm up. I’m always looking for ways to switch up how I prepare salads this time of year and this one would be perfect as a main dish for lunch or dinner or as a side!
One of my favorite things to do is find inspiration at other restaurants or food items that I pick up at the store. I saw a salad kit at Trader Joes for something similar to this and new that I could easily recreate while using better-for-you ingredients. One thing that I didn’t love about the kit were some of the ingredients in the salad dressing they provided. These can sometimes be filled with ingredients that you can easily make at home and doing it with simpler ingredients. Plus, then you have more to use all week long!
I love adding shrimp to this to add to the summer touch and freshness that this salad has. If you don’t prefer shrimp or want to use something else, this would also be delicious tossed with steak or chicken! I can see this served as a large salad for many during the summer months.
What you need for Lemon Arugula Shrimp Salad:
- Arugula: these greens are the perfect combination with this light lemon basil dressing!
- Tri-color carrots: not only do try-color carrots add so much color to this salad, but they add for more texture which is always a great way to spice up a salad
- Shaved Parmesan: who doesn’t love cheese mixed into a salad?! The shaved parmesan with this fresh salad is so delicious!
- Slivered Almonds: you always want to add a little crunch in your salads and slivered almonds is one of my favorites! Plus, it adds a healthy fat to the mix too.
- Shrimp: To wrap up a satisfying, light salad, I topped it with sautéed shrimp. You can do it grilled too!
What you need for Lemon Basil Dressing:
- Lemon zest
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Dijon Mustard
- Olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper, turmeric
Want to add a different protein?
Try this salad with grilled chicken or steak! You can also serve this alongside any grill out as a side. The fresh dressing makes it a delicious tossed salad with everything.
Don’t like arugula?
Okay, I know arugula can be a hit or miss when it comes to greens! If it’s not your favorite, try this salad mix with kale! Massage the kale with the lemon basil dressing and serve it with all the other toppings like parmesan, carrots and shrimp.
Don’t want to make your own salad dressing? Here are some others that I love to use:
What I used to make this salad:
- The lemon basil dressing makes enough for more than one salad. The best way to store the dressing is in a sealed container in the fridge. You can toss it with a variety of salads during the week!
- Double the recipe with all toppings if you want to make two salads!
If you like this salad, you may also enjoy these salads on One Balanced Life:
Want more easy lunch ideas? Try these!
- 6 cups arugula
- 9-12 shrimp (I used Trader Joes Argentinian Shrimp)
- 3 tri-color carrots, julienned
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Avocado oil spray
- sea salt, pepper, garlic powder
- For lemon basil dressing (makes enough for more than one salad):
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Prepare lemon basil dressing by adding all ingredients to your food processor and blend. Set aside.
- Prepare sauteed shrimp by adding a little avocado oil spray to pan with shrimp, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook until fully cooked through. Set aside
- In large bowl, add arugula, parmesan, slivered almonds, julieened carrots and cooked shrimp.
- Toss with lemon basil dressing.
until next time...