I’m always looking for ways to switch up pizza and this may be a new favorite!! I’ll always see the portobello mushrooms at the store and wonder what would be the best way to use them and I think this is it!! These portobello mushroom pizzas are not only so easy to make but they are so easy to switch up with different toppings based off what you’re feeling. I love the classic cheese and pepperoni but used some jalapeño slices that I had around and YUM. I can’t wait to hear what you think of these!
What you need for Portobello Mushroom Pizzas:
- Portobello mushrooms: look for a mushroom that is not too thick but also has good sides around it!! This is important so that the pizza doesn’t go spilling out in your oven. (Happened to me while testing these!) I’ve found the organic Portobello mushrooms to be best but they also sell them in a pack of two at Trader Joes. Just take a look at them and find the best one 🙂
- Cheese: I used shredded mozzarella but you can use any of your favorites depending on how you want to switch it up!
- Italian Seasoning: I use this to coat on the bottom of the mushroom as well as sprinkle a little on top of the pizza
- Toppings: I used pepperoni and fermented jalapeños from trader joes (so good!) but you can get creative here!
- Avocado Oil spray: I use this to coat the mushroom top and spray a little inside too.
- Tomato sauce: A lot of times I will just use a marinara that I have from pasta dishes when making pizza.
How to make Portobello pizzas:
- Start by scraping out the middle of the portobello mushroom. Throw it away.
- Coat the top of the mushroom (now bottom of the pizza) with avocado oil spray and Italian seasoning.
- Top pizza ingredients on portobello! Pizza sauce, cheese, jalapeño and pepperoni. Sprinkle a little Italian seasonings and red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
If you love pizza as much as I do, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- BBQ Chicken Pineapple Naan Pizza
- Pizza Spaghetti Squash
- Veggie Pizza with Spinach Basil Hemp Seed Sauce
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 4 tbsp marinara sauce (2 tbsp each portobello or more)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can add more depending on how cheesy you want them)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- Avocado oil spray
- Optional: fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Scrape out the inside of the mushroom. Toss it.
- Spray the bottom of the mushroom with a little avocado oil spray and add a little italian seasoning.
- Layer in the pizza toppings in the mushroom. Add the marinara sauce, cheese, pepperoni and jalapeno slices.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Top with fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning
until next time...