I’m always looking for a new way to enjoy pizza and these may be them! Portobello Mushroom Pizza is not only so easy to make but there are so many ways to switch them up so everyone enjoys them! Have you ever tried this before!? Not only does it give you a little taste of pizza that we all love, but in a new, exciting way to switch it up during the week.
Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
What you need for Portobello Mushroom Pizzas:
- Portobello mushrooms: look for a mushroom that is not too thick but also has good sides around it!! This is important so that the pizza doesn’t go spilling out in your oven. (Happened to me while testing these!) I’ve found the organic Portobello mushrooms to be best but they also sell them in a pack of two at Trader Joes. Just take a look at them and find the best one 🙂 Oftentimes, the mushrooms are thicker too. While these are great, they do take longer to cook which is why it’s best to get a smaller one!
- Cheese: I used shredded mozzarella but you can use any of your favorites depending on how you want to switch it up!
- Italian Seasoning: I use this to coat on the bottom of the mushroom as well as sprinkle a little on top of the pizza
- Toppings: I used pepperoni and fermented jalapeños from trader joes (so good!) but you can get creative here!
- Avocado Oil spray: I use this to coat the mushroom top and spray a little inside too.
- Tomato sauce: A lot of times I will just use a marinara that I have from pasta dishes when making pizza.
What other toppings could I use?
There are so many ways to switch this up with your own favorite toppings!
- Pesto and mozzarella
- Fresh herbs
- Any of your favorite pizza toppings!
What avocado oil spray do you use?
I love using this one! And I use it on EVERYTHING when I’m cooking. It’s great because it’s a high heat oil cooking spray and I just find the spray to work way better than the regular oil.
I find that using a shredded cheese like mozzarella works the best in this recipe! It’s easy for these to create a lot of liquid and having a cheese that isn’t already solid definitely adds to that as well. I stick to shredded mozzarella every time I make these!
How to make Portobello mushroom pizza:
- Start by scraping out the middle of the portobello mushroom. Throw it away.
- Coat the top of the mushroom (now bottom of the pizza) with avocado oil spray and Italian seasoning.
- Poke small holes into the bottom of the portobello mushroom
- Top pizza ingredients on portobello! Pizza sauce, cheese, jalapeño and pepperoni. Sprinkle a little Italian seasonings and red pepper flakes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
If you love pizza as much as I do, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
- BBQ Chicken Pineapple Naan Pizza
- Pizza Spaghetti Squash
- Veggie Pizza with Spinach Basil Hemp Seed Sauce
Looking for more easy weeknight dinners? Try these!
Save and Pin for later!
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 4 tbsp marinara sauce (2 tbsp each portobello or more)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can add more depending on how cheesy you want them)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- Avocado oil spray
- Optional toppings: pepperoni, fresh cilantro, jalapeño
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Scrape out the inside of the mushroom. Toss it. Poke small holes in the bottom of the mushroom
- Spray the bottom of the mushroom with a little avocado oil spray and add a little italian seasoning.
- Layer in the pizza toppings in the mushroom. Add the marinara sauce, cheese, pepperoni and jalapeno slices.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Top with fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes and italian seasoning
until next time...