Honestly when does pizza not sound good?! I took this classic and switched it up with one of my other favorites, spaghetti squash. I love spaghetti squash because it’s so versatile, makes a bunch so it’s perfect to prep, and it’s a great alternative to pasta. Not only does it work well for an easy prep but it lasts on the counter for up to a couple weeks so it’s great to have on hand no matter what!
There are a lot of ways you can switch this up or keep it as simple as I did here. If you want to add some sautéed veggies and make more of a “veggie pizza” then you can add that in after you’ve cooked the spaghetti squash and start to add in your toppings.
A few tips on cooking a spaghetti squash:
- I like to microwave it for 2 minutes prior to cutting it in half. These things are hard to cut and doing this makes it a little easier!
- You can use your Instant Pot to cook the spaghetti squash first, but I’ve found I just like to bake it!
- Always scrape out the seeds prior to baking it.
Reasons why I love cooking with spaghetti squash:
- It lasts for a while on the counter! Pick this up at the grocery one week and end up not making it? No worries, it will probably still be good the next week!
- So versatile! There are so many ways to switch it up
- It makes a bunch so you can either each have the half of the spaghetti squash or make it and save for the rest of the week!
TIP: get your spaghetti squash at Trader Joe’s because they don’t do it by weight. So the bigger the better!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (can also just use a tomato sauce here too!)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (you can add more here depending on how cheesy you want it!)
- Sea salt/pepper/red pepper flakes
- Avocado Oil Spray/Olive Oil Spray
- Microwave spaghetti squash for 2 minutes. Cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place spaghetti squash halves on baking sheet. Spray with a little avocado oil spray and top with sea salt & pepper
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Fork the inside into a separate bowl. Add in marinara sauce and mix together.
- Place the inside of the squash back into their halves and top with desired amount of cheese and pepperoni.
- Place back in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese gets melty.
until next time...