If you want a new plant-based recipe to add to your lunch rotation, make this Mashed Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. This is so simple to make and perfect to keep in the fridge for an easy lunch! It’s packed with plant based protein and made with many pantry ingredients.
If you’re like me, you like switching up what your lunch looks like every week. I love finding plant based meals that I can make that will keep me full too. This Mashed Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is one that’s full of flavor and perfect to meal prep for the week! Made with a few simple ingredients, mostly pantry items and it’s packed with protein.
This salad is made with a base of tahini, which is also perfect for any dairy free or nut free allergies. If you’re hesitant on tahini, I promise you won’t be able to taste it in this salad! With the flavors of all the add-in ingredients
What you need for Mashed Mediterranean Chickpea Salad:
- Kalamata Olives
- Marinated Artichokes
- Red onion
- Feta cheese
- Red Bell Pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dill powder
- Sea salt
- Black Pepper
How to make chickpea salad:
- Start by rinsing and draining chickpeas. Remove the outer “shells” from the chickpeas.
- In a bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Chop up all ingredients: olives, artichokes, red bell pepper and red onion.
- Mix together dressing ingredients: tahini, lemon, honey, water, garlic powder, sea salt, dill powder and black pepper. Set aside. You will want to adjust water to a good consistency.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix to combine.
- Serve on bread, crackers or with veggies!
How to store your chickpea salad:
It’s best to store your chickpea salad in the fridge in a sealed container. I like to use these for easy storage in the fridge and great for grab and go.
If you want to pair this Mashed Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, try doing this:
- Put it in a wrap or on a sandwich!
- Serve it alongside crackers and veggies.
- Have it on a bed of greens!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
How long will this salad last in the fridge?
This salad will last for up to 2-3 days in the fridge!
Are chickpeas a good source of protein?
Yes! Chickpeas are a great source of plant based protein. Just about 1 cup of chickpeas packs in 14.5 grams of protein.
What if I don’t like tahini?
I promise if you don’t like tahini, you’ll enjoy this recipe! If you really don’t want to use it then you can try to sub it for mayo!
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup marinated artichokes
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- 3-4 tbsp water
- optional: crumbled feta cheese
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Remove the outer "shell" from the chickpeas.
- Mash with a fork, leaving some chickpeas in tact.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients: tahini, lemon, honey and seasonings. Add water to get a good consistency with the tahini.
- In a large bowl, add mashed chickpeas, chopped olives, artichokes, onion and red bell pepper. Add in dressing.
- Mix to combine.
- Top with feta cheese if you'd like.
until next time...