It’s soup season! And I’m here for all the cozy vibes with the soup recipes this year. I love soup for many reasons, but one is that it’s the perfect thing to prep for the week! Having a batch of soup ready in the fridge guarantees a couple meals already ready for the week. This Beef Enchilada Soup combines all the delicious flavor of an enchilada into a cozy bowl that’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
Beef Enchilada Soup
Although it’s still warm in Austin and not quite soup season, I’ll still find any reason to enjoy it when I can! This Beef Enchilada Soup is no exception when it tastes like an enchilada in a bowl and makes for an easy weeknight dinner. If there’s one thing that’s a must with soup is a chip or cracker to do some dipping with it. These elote corn dippers from Trader Joe’s make for the perfect “scoop” for this soup! With a little bit of crunch with each bite, you’ll have everyone loving this soup combination.
This Beef Enchilada Soup is made with ingredients that you know and with items that you may already have in your pantry. It’s one of the simple, meal prep friendly, weeknight dinner recipes that I love to share with you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What you need for Beef Enchilada Soup:
- Lean Ground Beef
- Enchilada Sauce
- Black Beans
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
- Green chiles
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Beef Broth
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder, Chili powder, Sea Salt, Pepper
Why you’ll love this soup:
- Who doesn’t love the flavors of an enchilada!? All wrapped into one in a cozy bowl!
- It makes a bunch so it’s perfect to prep for the week and enjoy for a couple meals.
- This soup calls for many pantry ingredients that you may already have!
- Not only is this soup great to have for the week, but it can easily be kept in the freezer to pull out at another time when the soup craving hits.
Can I use ground turkey or chicken?
Yes! If you’d like to substitute the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken, you can do that in this recipe.
What enchilada sauce do you use?
I used the Trader Joe’s Red Enchilada Sauce in this recipe! You can use any that you prefer, but I recommend it being a red enchilada sauce.
How to reheat your Beef Enchilada Soup:
It’s best to reheat your soup by the portion that you wish to enjoy at that time! I place mine in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and top with cheese and place back in for 30 seconds. Be careful! The bowl may be hot so you want to be careful when you remove it from the microwave.
Have leftovers you want to freeze? Here’s what you should do:
Great! I love having soup leftovers to keep in the freezer. I store mine in freezer bags by the portion. That way, you can easily pull out to defrost in the fridge when you’re ready to enjoy it.
- Serve your Beef Enchilada Soup with a little fresh cilantro, avocado slices and Corn dippers (from Trader Joes!)
- Maybe top with a little shredded Mexican cheese to get melty!?
- I like to use the packets of Taco Seasoning from Siete or Trader Joe’s.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Want more easy weeknight dinners? Try these:
- Chicken Apple Sausage Sheetpan Dinner
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Turkey Marinara Stuffed Zucchini
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 4oz green chiles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- optional toppings: avocado, fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes, corn chips
- In large pot, add olive oil and minced garlic and onion to saute.
- Add ground beef to brown.
- Drain corn and black beans and add to pot with remaining ingredients: beef broth, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and let it sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Top with fresh avocado, cilantro and red pepper flakes. Add chips on the side!
until next time...