It doesn’t get much better than a meal that comes together in one pot. This One Pot Veggie Pasta is so simple to make and loaded with veggies! The best part, you can switch this up with whatever veggies you have around. This meal is made with simple ingredients, requires only one pot and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
There’s always a day during the week when you’re trying to figure out what to make for dinner and can’t think of anything. If you’re like me you like minimal clean up, simple ingredients and easy. That’s exactly why I created this One Pot Veggie Pasta. It’s loaded with veggies that will make you feel good and all made in one pot, so the clean up is minimal. While I did load this up with zucchini, broccoli, and bell pepper, you can switch up the veggies that you use with whatever you have around. Want to add in mushrooms or spinach? Great, toss them in!
If you want to make this a completely meatless meal, omit the chicken sausage and add more veggies! This One Pot Veggie Pasta can easily be made into a meal perfect for a plant-based diet.
What you need for One Pot Veggie Pasta:
- 12oz pasta shell: I used a penne pasta shell here, but you can use any that you’d like! I just recommend keeping it at 12oz.
- Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce: There are a variety of options you could use for your tomato sauce in this recipe, but I love a tomato basil sauce for this one.
- Chicken Sausage: Adding chicken sausage to this recipe adds a little protein to the meal while adding in flavor too. I like to get the Organic Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s! If you want to make this a meatless meal, you can leave this out.
- Zucchini: Adding in zucchini to pasta is a great way to add in some green veggies!
- Broccoli: Chop up the broccoli into smaller pieces before adding it into the pasta. This makes for a great addition to pasta!
- Yellow Onion: Before you do anything, you’ll sauté the onion with minced garlic which adds the best flavor to any dish, especially to pasta!
- Garlic cloves: Minced garlic is all you need here to easily sauté.
- Yellow bell pepper: Don’t worry about the color of the bell pepper, but definitely add this in for the added crunch and veggie it adds!
- Veggie broth: Since this is a one pot dish, you’ll be cooking the pasta in the veggie broth rather than water like you would when cooking the pasta by itself.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: This is optional! If you want to make it dairy free, you can leave this out.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: a must when sautéing the garlic and onion!
- Sea salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, garlic powder: a few seasonings that add the perfect touch to this pasta
Can I make this meatless?
Yes! If you want to leave out the chicken sausage, you can easily make this a meatless meal. Maybe try to add more veggies!
Can I make this dairy free?
Yes! You can easily leave the grated parmesan cheese in this pasta to make it dairy free.
What pasta sauce did you use?
I used this one from Mezzetta! I love their pasta sauces. You can use any flavor that you like here.
Can I use any pasta shell?
Yes! I used a penne pasta here but any shape would work. I just recommend keeping it at 12oz for this recipe.
Looking for new cookware?
I LOVE my Caraway Cookware and use it in a lot of the recipes I share on One Balanced Life. This non-stick cookware is perfect when cooking your healthy meals during the week. If you’re on the lookout for new cookware and interested in Caraway, you can check out it out here for 10% off your order!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes on One Balanced Life:
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 12oz penne pasta
- 1 (25oz) jar Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- 4 chicken sausages
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- In large pot, add olive oil, minced garlic and onion to saute.
- Chop up veggies and sausages: zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper and chicken sausage.
- Add in zucchini, broccoli and chicken sausage and seasonings to saute. Allow these to saute for a couple minutes and then add in the bell pepper.
- Add veggie broth and penne pasta to the bowl and bring to a boil.
- Place lid on bowl and continue to stir. Allow pasta to cook.
- Once pasta has cooked (7-9 minutes), reduce heat to medium low and add jar of pasta sauce and grated parmesan to mix in.
until next time...