I can’t think of a better way to start the day then with a breakfast burrito. Right?! These Southwestern Breakfast Burritos may be my new favorite thing to prep at the beginning of the week to have burritos all week long. I think you’re going to love these! Not only are the southwestern flavors the best, but these burritos make for the most satisfying meal and an easy option to incorporate in each week for prep.
Southwestern Breakfast Burritos
I don’t know about you but I tend to get sick of the same stuff for breakfast all the time. I love to switch it up while still keeping it super simple! Because no one has time during the week to make any fancy breakfast. The best part about these Southwestern Breakfast Burritos is that you can spend a little extra time at the beginning of the week to have these all week long. They make for a burrito that you can make, freeze and then reheat and still taste SO good! It doesn’t get any better.
Why you’ll love these Southwestern Breakfast Burritos:
- Hello southwestern flavors are the BEST! If I haven’t convinced you try this Southwestern Pasta Salad or Southwestern Chicken Salad.
- They make for a great option to prep during the week or a delicious brunch on the weekend!
- All you need are a couple super simple ingredients to throw these together!
- These burritos are packed with protein leaving you feeling satisfied after eating one!
What you need:
- Burrito sized tortilla (I used the Whole Foods 365 brand)
- Black Beans
- Red bell Pepper
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
How to make Southwestern Breakfast Burritos:
- Start by preparing your scrambled eggs. Whisk together 6 eggs (if you’re making 3 burritos) and pour into a heated (medium heat) pan.
- Chop up onion, red bell pepper and drain black beans.
- Once you’ve made scrambled eggs, set aside.
- Prepare sautéed onion and pepper by combining a little avocado oil to pan with veggies. Add black beans to mix.
- Prepare burritos by adding scrambled eggs, sautéed veggies and shredded Mexican cheese to the middle of the tortilla. Wrap up into a burrito.
- In pan, add burrito to heat up on both sides. *If preparing burritos to prep, make sure they have fully cooled down before wrapping up.
Best method to freeze/reheat breakfast burritos:
- After you prepare your burritos, make sure they have completely cooled before wrapping them in plastic wrap! Once they are cooled, wrap up (as you would a burrito) and place into a large reusable bag or freezer bag.
- Store in the freezer. When you decide you want a burrito, take it out of the freezer to defrost in the fridge for 24 hrs before enjoying.
- In the AM when you want to reheat, unwrap the plastic and place on plate to heat in the microwave for a minute to a minute and half.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Do you like to meal prep? Try some of these meal prep friendly recipes!
- 3 burrito flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1/2- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup yellow onion
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- sea salt, pepper
- optional: cilantro, red pepper flakes
- avocado oil
- Prepare your scrambled eggs by whisking together 6 eggs. In pan, heat to medium heat.
- Pour eggs into pan. Slowly scramble by bringing the eggs into the middle of the pan. Set aside
- In separate pan, add a little avocado oil, bell pepper, onion and black beans to saute.
- Lay tortilla out flat. Layer in scrambled eggs (split between three tortillas), sauteed veggies mix, and shredded mexican cheese.
- Roll up into a burrito and place in a heated pan. Cook on both sides to brown and until cheese has melted.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, red pepper flakes and cilantro.
- If prepping** make sure to let burritos cool before wrapping in plastic wrap and storing in the freezer.
until next time...