I can’t think of a better way to start the day then with a breakfast burrito. Right?! These Southwestern Breakfast Burritos may be my new favorite thing to prep at the beginning of the week to have burritos all week long. I think you’re going to love these! Not only are the southwestern flavors the best, but these burritos make for the most satisfying meal and an easy option to incorporate in each week for prep.
I don’t know about you but I tend to get sick of the same stuff for breakfast all the time. I love to switch it up while still keeping it super simple! Because no one has time during the week to make any fancy breakfast. The best part about these Southwestern Breakfast Burritos is that you can spend a little extra time at the beginning of the week to have these all week long. They make for a burrito that you can make, freeze and then reheat and still taste SO good! It doesn’t get any better.
Why you’ll love these Southwestern Breakfast Burritos:
- Hello southwestern flavors are the BEST! If I haven’t convinced you try this Southwestern Pasta Salad or Southwestern Chicken Salad.
- They make for a great option to prep during the week or a delicious brunch on the weekend!
- All you need are a couple super simple ingredients to throw these together!
- These burritos are packed with protein leaving you feeling satisfied after eating one!
What you need for breakfast burritos:
- Burrito sized tortilla (I used the Whole Foods 365 brand)
- Black Beans
- Red bell Pepper
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
How to make Southwestern Breakfast Burritos:
- Start by preparing your scrambled eggs. Whisk together 6 eggs (if you’re making 3 burritos) and pour into a heated (medium heat) pan.
- Chop up onion, red bell pepper and drain black beans.
- Once you’ve made scrambled eggs, set aside.
- Prepare sautéed onion and pepper by combining a little avocado oil to pan with veggies. Add black beans to mix.
- Prepare burritos by adding scrambled eggs, sautéed veggies and shredded Mexican cheese to the middle of the tortilla. Wrap up into a burrito.
- In pan, add burrito to heat up on both sides. *If preparing burritos to prep, make sure they have fully cooled down before wrapping up.
Best method to freeze/reheat breakfast burritos:
- After you prepare your burritos, make sure they have completely cooled before wrapping them in plastic wrap! Once they are cooled, wrap up (as you would a burrito) and place into a large reusable bag or freezer bag.
- Store in the freezer. When you decide you want a burrito, take it out of the freezer to defrost in the fridge for 24 hrs before enjoying.
- In the AM when you want to reheat, unwrap the plastic and place on plate to heat in the microwave for a minute to a minute and half.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
Do you like to meal prep? Try some of these meal prep friendly recipes!
How long do these last in the freezer?
These Southwestern Breakfast Burritos will last up the 3 months in the freezer when properly stored. Be sure to make sure they are completely covered in plastic wrap and also stored in a large plastic bag in the freezer.
What is the best way to reheat these burritos?
Be sure to pull out your burritos from the freezer for at least 24 hours before you plan on eating them. Then, I recommend heating them up in the microwave for a minute to a minute and a half.
Can I use any tortilla?
You want to be sure to use a “burrito” sized tortilla for these to be able to wrap up all the ingredients! I like using a flour tortilla, but you can use any that you prefer.
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 3 burrito flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 1/2- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup yellow onion
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- dash of sea salt, pepper
- optional: cilantro, red pepper flakes
- avocado oil
- Prepare your scrambled eggs by whisking together 6 eggs with a dash of sea salt and pepper. In pan, heat to medium heat.
- Pour eggs into pan. Slowly scramble by bringing the eggs into the middle of the pan. Set aside
- In separate pan, add a little avocado oil, bell pepper, onion and black beans to saute with taco seasoning.
- Lay tortilla out flat. Layer in scrambled eggs (split between three tortillas), sauteed veggies mix, and shredded mexican cheese.
- Roll up into a burrito and place in a heated pan. Cook on both sides to brown and until cheese has melted.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, red pepper flakes and cilantro.
- If prepping** make sure to let burritos cool before wrapping in plastic wrap and storing in the freezer.
Adjust taco seasoning to taste if needed.
until next time...