These Beef and Bean Tostadas include all of my favorite things! A crispy tortilla, refried beans and a delicious Avocado Tomato Salsa on top! Not only are these perfect for a weeknight dinner, but they look like they took way longer than they actually do. You can have this meal ready in 20 minutes, have plenty of leftovers and make everyone happy with these!
I know the feeling half way through the day and you’re trying to figure out what to make for dinner. You want something simple but also want it to be satisfying and flavorful. Insert these Beef and Bean Tostadas. I mean who doesn’t love a crispy tortilla?! Then spread with pinto beans and topped with a simple, flavorful beef recipe and avocado tomato salsa. Trust me, it looks more complicated then it actually is!
While I do think that a corn tortilla is best when making these tostadas, you can also make this gluten free and try using the Siete foods tortillas. They always crisp up well! If you want to switch up the beef, you can also make this with ground turkey or ground chicken.
What you need for Beef and Bean Tostadas:
Ground Beef: I like using ground beef in this recipe but if you’d like to substitute for ground turkey you can as well.
Refried Pinto Beans: Picking up a can of refried beans is perfect for this! You may already have one in the pantry too.
Yellow onion: Chop this up to add to your beef when sautéing.
Corn Tortillas: These get the most crispy and are perfect for making a tostada.
Beef Broth: Just a little of this is used when making the ground beef to add flavor and prevent it from being dry.
Seasonings: You’ll want a mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt and pepper
What you need for Avocado Tomato Salsa:
- Red onion
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
How do I make a tostada?
Start by getting corn tortillas! Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I like to place mine on silicone baking sheets. Spray with a little avocado oil spray and then bake for 10-12 minutes. Be sure to flip the tortillas half way through.
Can I make ahead any of these ingredients?
Yes! While these beef and bean tostadas don’t take long to prepare on the night of, you can also prepare some of the items to make this even easier. I would sauté the beef and then store in a glass sealed container. When you’re ready to make these, all you will need to do is make the crispy tostada and prepare the Avocado Tomato Salsa. There’s also the option to use a store bought salsa of your choice too!
Can I substitute the refried beans?
Yes! If you don’t want to use refried beans here, you can also try a mashed guacamole or do a layer of shredded cheese.
If you like this recipe, you’ll also enjoy these on One Balanced Life:
- Shrimp Tostadas with Pineapple Salsa
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Veggie Butternut Tostadas
- Healthy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
Save and Pin for later!
Make sure to save and pin this recipe for later! Are you following me on Pinterest yet? You can also follow me on Instagram & Facebook, and make sure to leave a star rating and tag me if you make this recipe! xx
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- for the avocado tomato salsa:
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- dash of sea salt
- dash of garlic powder
- Avocado oil spray
- Optional toppings: cojita cheese, fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray corn tortilla with a little avocado oil spray. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Flipping half way.
- Add minced garlic and onion to pan to saute.
- Add ground beef and use spatula to break into smaller pieces.
- Once beef begins to brown, add beef broth and seasonings: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt and pepper. Adjust to taste if needed.
- Prepare avocado tomato salsa by combining avocado, tomato, red onion, lime juice and dash of sea salt and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Prepare refried beans accordingly by heating up on low on stovetop.
- Assemble tostadas by layering 2 tbsp refried beans, ground beef and avocado tomato salsa on top. Top with fresh cilantro, cojita cheese and red pepper flakes.
I like to use an avocado oil spray on the tortillas before baking. You can also use an olive oil spray. Just lighly on the tortillas!
until next time...