What’s better at the holidays than a delicious salad paired with all the sides there are. This Apple Arugula Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette is one that everyone will be going back for! It’s not only delicious but makes for a great fall salad this time of year.
Apple Arugula Salad
It’s the time of year for Friendsgiving’s, family gatherings and of course the holidays! I love having a green salad on the table alongside all of the other delicious food. This Apple Arugula Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette will have everyone coming back for seconds of the salad. It’s tossed in a vinaigrette that is the perfect amount of sweet and savory, plus the combination of candied nuts with bacon is a delicious pair.
Salads are endless this time of year, so it’s important to decide what you particularly want in one! What type of greens would you like to use? Arugula or Kale? Do you want any protein involved or do you want a salad on the sweeter side? So many options! There are many salads to choose from on One Balanced Life and one thing that I love to make! I hope you enjoy this one!
What you need for Apple Arugula Salad:
Arugula: just a bag of Arugula works perfectly here!
Granny smith apples: I love to use these apples in this salad! The taste of a green apple paired alongside the other ingredients in this salad is delicious. Cut lengthwise!
Crumbled goat cheese: who doesn’t love goat cheese on everything this time of year? If you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, you can sprinkle any of your favorite cheeses on top of this salad.
Bacon: applewood smoked bacon crumbled on top makes everyone coming back for more of this salad.
Pecans: I like to use the pecan pieces when making the candied pecans. You can choose to use any nut that you prefer!
What you need for Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Maple Syrup
- Dijon Mustard
- Olive oil
How to make candied pecans:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together maple syrup, cinnamon and coconut sugar in small bowl.
- Add to bowl with pecan pieces and mix to completely coat. Place on baking sheet (I like to use a silicone baking sheet to prevent from sticking!) and then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Be sure to flip the pecans half way through and once you remove from the oven, continually stir to prevent the pecans from sticking.
Why you’ll love this salad:
- The flavors here are paired perfectly together!
- It’s so simple to make and you can throw this together last minute with your holiday plans.
- Does it get any better than candied nuts, bacon and goat cheese? I don’t think so.
How to make this Apple Arugula Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette:
Start by mixing up everything you need for the maple balsamic dressing: maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and olive oil. Set aside.
Cook bacon accordingly. Crumble and set aside.
Make candied pecans by mixing together maple syrup, cinnamon and coconut sugar. Toss to completely coat with the pecans before placing on baking sheet. I like to use a silicone baking sheet when I make these. Place in the oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes (flipping half way through). Once you remove from the oven, continue to stir to prevent pecans from sticking to the pan.
In serving plate or bowl, add arugula, crumbled bacon pieces, goat cheese, chopped apple and candied pecans. Toss in maple balsamic dressing.
Looking for more salad recipes? Try these on One Balanced Life:
- Harvest Cobb Salad
- Fall Kale Salad
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad with Maple Tahini
- Harvest Quinoa Salad
Want more sides to bring to your Thanksgiving? Try these!
- 1 bag 5oz Arugula
- 1 green apple, cut lengthwise
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon pieces
- for the maple balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- for the candied pecans:
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients: balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard and olive oil. Mix and set aside.
- Cook bacon accordingly. Crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together ingredients for candied pecans: maple syrup, cinnamon and coconut sugar. Toss with pecan pieces to completely cover.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes (flipping half way through). Be sure to continually stir as you remove from the oven to prevent from sticking*
- Prepare salad by adding arugula, chopped apple (lengthwise), candied pecans, chopped bacon and goat cheese to bowl or serving plate. Toss in maple balsamic dressing.
until next time...